Anyone who departs from a group worldview becomes a heretic. Some people believe that there are more than 66 books that form the canon of the Bible. Others will say that there are not.
From a Christian perspective, for this is what I am, there is no other written guide that carries the same authority as the Bible.
Why do I accept this?
Jesus said that the Bible bears witness to Him. He was speaking about the Old Testament.
- You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. (John 5:39-40)
As for what Jesus said and did and what the Apostles said and did, when I read the book of Luke and the book of Acts, I find these words:
- Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you,most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught. (Luke 1:1-4)
- In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said,“you heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:1-5)
The Apostle Peter says that the Apostle Paul knows more than he does (2 Peter 3:14-16). Therefore, I respect what the Apostle Paul has written. And the Apostle Paul states in numerous places that we are not to go beyond what is written.
- I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. (1 Corinthians 4:6)
As I read through the Scriptures, I learned the LAW contained the embodiment of knowledge and truth (Romans 2:20) and Moses was shown what God had already planned in Heaven (Hebrews 8:5). Moreover, I discovered that the Ten Commandments in Exodus, chapter twenty, were the only words attested to having been written by God Himself (Deuteronomy 9:10). These same words God also spoke to the nation of Israel. This is the only time in history that it has been recorded that a whole nation has been addressed by Lord God Almighty Himself.
Should we believe in God according to the Bible? Is it a heresy to diverge from the what the Apostles and Prophets of God have declared to us? Would it be wise to disregard the only words written by the Only Omniscient God Himself?
I have had many visions. Yet I have never taken a stand on a vision. Even today, I will not take a stand on a vision. This is the reason why? It is written:
- These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God. (Colossians 2:17-19)
Furthermore, I have seen angels who are different in appearance. I have seen thrones. I have have seen Lord Jesus on numerous occasions. Even appearing to me once in a concert hall and saying, "I have many people here." That blew me away, as did the time that Jesus appeared on another occasion when I was in a church where people were going up the front to receive the host. Then there was the time Jesus appeared to me standing in a race course. And many more times.
If anybody has reason to claim anything special, I could. But I will not go beyond what is written because of what the Apostle stated. Also, Jesus when dealing with the Devil, used the term "it is written" to deal with Him.
So I will say, do not to go beyond what is written in the Bible, lest you become puffed up and conceited. Be humble. If anybody has a sure word of prophesy, let every word be proven. For those who do not understand the very words that God Himself has written are probably deceived and will deceive you, if they say listen to me. Every word that does not bear witness to Lord Jesus Christ as being the Lord and Savior of humankind has to be false when it comes to knowing the truth about life and our purpose for existence.
Test False Teachers By Understanding The Only Words Written By God Himself