The average person would be bereft of any understanding of the word “Holy”.
Everybody who speaks English knows, even if they might not express it this way, that the word “see” means “the ability to open one’s eyes and observe visually phenomena that exist which are capable of being described in terms of color, shape, texture and the substances they are made from”.
From a Biblical viewpoint, God is Holy: He does not sin. Therefore, any thing that is Holy has to be without sin. Consequently, such a term cannot be applied to a sinful human being who has sinned, unless “the holy see” means something other than the seat of authority from which to rule over the people of the Earth.
The Holy See as asserted by the Roman Catholic Church is really the usurpation of the Lord God Creator of Heaven and Earth and the role of the Holy Spirit’s function in the hearts of those who have received the baptism that John the Baptist said Jesus would provide to those who belong to Him.
- John answered them all, “I baptize you with water; but he who is mightier than I is coming, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. (Luke 3:16)
- And while staying with them he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me, for John baptized with water, but before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”(Acts 1:4-5)
- Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. (1 Corinthians 2:12)
- For he will be great before the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. (Luke 1:15)
- For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. (1 Timothy 2:5)
- Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this which you see and hear. (Acts 2:33)
- But we see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for every one. (Hebrews 2:9)
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1–2)
What is the holy see? This is the true holy see: to see the Holy One. The Apostle Paul, who was given authority to instruct the Church of God wrote:
- I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power in us who believe, according to the working of his great might. (Ephesians 1:16–19)
Only God is Holy. Besides the Holy One, there is no other.
- Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me. (Isaiah 45:21)
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight. (Proverbs 9:10)
The Truth Is Easy To Discern When You Have A Standard For Making Assessments