There is a difference between things you should know and things that it may be profitable for you to know.
What you should know is that men are liars, cannot be trusted and will always let you down—even when doing their best to tell you the truth. Why, I myself will let you down if you have expectations of me that I am not able to meet. Nevertheless, if you find a person who does his best to keep his word, then treasure such a friend. All others are not friends because they belong to the father of lies.
- You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (John 8:44)
- The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it? “I the Lord search the mind and try the heart, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.” (Jeremiah 17:9–10)
The Bible does not have the power to impart eternal life. Instead, the Bible bears witness to the Son of God; for He is the very One who has the power to impart life.
- You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. (John 5:39–40)
- From childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:15–17)
- They serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly sanctuary; for when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was instructed by God, saying, “See that you make everything according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.” (Hebrews 8:5)
- For Christ has entered, not into a sanctuary made with hands, a copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. (Hebrews 9:24)
The Ten Commandments are the only words recorded to have been written by the Creator of the Universe and given to humans.
The Ten Commandments deal with relationships and are applicable today, just as they were when they were written by the Creator on the two tablets of stone.
- These words the Lord spoke to all your assembly at the mountain out of the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and he added no more. And he wrote them upon two tables of stone, and gave them to me. (Deuteronomy 5:22)
These are some of the things which are profitable for you to know about the Bible—there is much more, of course.
The Ten Commandments Are Broader And Deeper Than Superficial Philosophies