The Bible states that the heart of men (including women) is evil and everyone is intent on doing evil.
- But in the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a horrible thing: they commit adultery and walk in lies; they strengthen the hands of evil doers, so that no one turns from his wickedness; all of them have become like Sodom to me, and its inhabitants like Gomor′rah.” (Jeremiah 23:14)
The prophet Jonah cries out for people to repent from their evil ways and to turn their hands from violence (for love trumps hate).
- Let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them cry mightily to God; yea, let every one turn from his evil way and from the violence which is in his hands. (Jonah 3:8)
- Men in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes. (Psalm 26:10)
- For I know that after my death you will surely act corruptly, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and in the days to come evil will befall you, because you will do what is evil in the sight of the Lord, provoking him to anger through the work of your hands.” (Deuteronomy 31:29)
- The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it? “I the Lord search the mind and try the heart,to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.” (Jeremiah 17:9–10)
- Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you men of double mind. (James 4:8)
- And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them; I will take the stony heart out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in my statutes and keep my ordinances and obey them; and they shall be my people, and I will be their God. (Ezekiel 11:19–20)
Uncertainty And Self-deception Only Come From A Lack Of Understanding Truth