- “You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:4–6)
Among the reasons we are told that we ought love God and keep His commandments: these are the distinguishing marks of those who have their prayers answered.
- For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. (1 John 5:3)
- And by this we may be sure that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (1 John 2:3)
- All who keep his commandments abide in him, and he in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us. (1 John 3:24)
- By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. (1 John 5:2)
- And we receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. (1 John 3:22)
- He who says “I know him” but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him; (1 John 2:4)
Many who call themselves Christians disregard the Decalogue, but then they seem to delight in fighting one an other for some reason—which leads one to question whether they understand what it means to be a Christian.
The Ten Commandments Were Designed For You To Enjoy And Possess Life