If you want to develop a habit of prayer and you do not have the Spirit of God, then you may as well become a Buddhist or a Hindu or a Muslim or a Jew. They have habits that they call prayer. If you want to walk with God, you need to walk in His Spirit.
- There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the just requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:1–4)
- For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. (Romans 8:14)
- Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. And he who searches the hearts of men knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26-27)
- Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practice steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth; for in these things I delight, says the Lord.” (Jeremiah 9:23-24)
In the book of Revelation, when speaking to the church at Ephesus, Lord Jesus Christ notes that they no longer have the same eagerness to be in His presence, because they have lost their first love.
- But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. (Revelation 2:4)
Consider the people you know, if you are in love with any, you will think of them frequently throughout the day. God is no different. Once you know Jesus as your Lord and Savoir, your love for Him should remain. I find it impossible not to have my thoughts orientated upon our Lord and Savior for much of the day—which is communion with God; that is, prayer.
- And he made from one every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. Yet he is not far from each one of us. (Acts 17:26-27)
- Hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us (Romans 5:5)
- We love, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19)
Those who do not know God might have habits. They might think of habits. They might even think that a person who spends time waiting upon the presence of God as performing a ritualistic habit.
Those of us who love God, because we know the Son of God and possess the Holy Spirit, find prayer a pleasurable activity. This is because we are constantly thanking and praising God. Moreover, we are communing with God in our thoughts, as well as making intercession on behalf of other people, or making personal requests for our own needs. There there are times, when in solitude, we rest in God as we enjoy His presence—a practice, once accustomed, we can enjoy even in the company of other people.
If you find yourself enjoying being uplifted in the presence of God, developing what people call a habit is not difficult at all—addictions never are. Once you have learned to experience God’s presence and begin to walk in His presence, you will find that it is easy to capture this presence even momentarily between other activities that require your attention.
The Secrets Of Experiencing The Presence Of God Are Not Too Difficult To Learn