After I became a Christian, I read the gospels. In fact, reading the gospels gave me a greater appreciation of Lord Jesus Christ—other than the fact that He appeared to me, and something occurred within my inner being that gave me joy and the assurance of my salvation.
Not until I began reading the Old Testament did I learn about the experience that became mine when Lord Jesus Christ appeared to me. This I found rather odd, because many people told me that the Old Testament was a dead letter and no longer valid for today. Yet people in the Old Testament speak of the joy, which I experience, after they repented from their sins.
- Thou meetest him that joyfully works righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways. Behold, thou wast angry, and we sinned; in our sins we have been a long time, and shall we be saved? (Isaiah 64:5)
- His soul draws near the Pit, and his life to those who bring death. If there be for him an angel, a mediator, one of the thousand, to declare to man what is right for him; and he is gracious to him, and says, ‘Deliver him from going down into the Pit, I have found a ransom; let his flesh become fresh with youth; let him return to the days of his youthful vigor’; then man prays to God, and he accepts him, he comes into his presence with joy. He recounts to men his salvation, and he sings before men, and says: ‘I sinned, and perverted what was right, and it was not requited to me. He has redeemed my soul from going down into the Pit,
and my life shall see the light.’ (Job 33:22-28)
- Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. (Habakkuk 3:18)
- But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. (Revelation 2:4)
- Restore to me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. (Psalm 51:12)
Psalm One tells us the secret to success in this life. Even though living water is to come from the Spirit that is to be given to those who seek the truth, we still need to renew our minds.
- Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water,that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. (Psalm 1:1–3)
- On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and proclaimed, “If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, as the scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, which those who believed in him were to receive; for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. (John 7:37–39)
- With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. (Isaiah 12:3)
- Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
- And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)
- When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. (John 16:13)
- In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 1:13)
Personally, memorization enables one to meditate more deeply, whereas reading does not quite provide the same experience.
The Ten Commandments Were Designed For You To Enjoy And Possess Life
LIKE IT-SHARE IT*LIKE IT-SHARE IT*LIKE IT-SHARE IT*LIKE IT*SHARE IT