Prophets fall into different categories:
- True prophets
- People whose prayers are heard.
- False prophets
The prophet Balaam was a true prophet who become a false prophet. For we read that he was given the words of God but he then decided to turn away from God, and because he loved mammon, he was to perish rather than possess eternal life. (So much for once saved always saved.)
- Balaam said to Balak, “Lo, I have come to you! Have I now any power at all to speak anything? The word that God puts in my mouth, that must I speak.” (Numbers 22:38)
- But I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice immorality. (Revelation 2:14)
- Forsaking the right way they have gone astray; they have followed the way of Balaam, the son of Be′or, who loved gain from wrongdoing. (2 Peter 2:15)
- Woe to them! For they walk in the way of Cain, and abandon themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error, and perish in Korah’s rebellion. (Jude 1:11)
Forth-tellers are prophets who state what will occur as a result of not doing what is in accord with the wisdom of God. Moses was a forth-teller. This is clearly demonstrated when Moses stated what would occur when people were obedient in listening and heeding God’s wisdom and what would happen if they disregarded the Omniscient One (Deuteronomy 28:1–68).
People whose prayers are heard are prophets. A prophet is not normally thought of being a healer. Yet King Abimelech of Gerar was told that Abraham was a prophet of God. Abraham would pray for him and he would be healed. The reason Abraham was designated a prophet is his prayers were heard. We read:
- Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that you have done this in the integrity of your heart, and it was I who kept you from sinning against me; therefore I did not let you touch her. Now then restore the man’s wife; for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you, and you shall live. But if you do not restore her, know that you shall surely die, you, and all that are yours.” (Genesis 20:6–7)
- And the Lord said to me: “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name; I did not send them, nor did I command them or speak to them. They are prophesying to you a lying vision, worthless divination, and the deceit of their own minds. (Jeremiah 14:14)
- Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes; they speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord. (Jeremiah 23:16)
The Only Words Written By The Finger Of God Sort The True From The False